Assistant Professor, Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Samuel Fernandez-Carriba, PhD, received an undergraduate degree and master’s in psychology in 1995 and a doctorate in clinical and health psychology in 2001 from Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain. Two years of his doctoral training took place at the Yerkes National Research Primate Center, where he approached the study of human emotions through an examination of biological determinants and evolutionary history as observed in a chimpanzee.
After his return to Emory University in 2002, Dr. Fernandez-Carrriba dedicated more than eight years at the Emory Autism Center to assessment, intervention and research related to individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). At Marcus Autism Center, Dr. Fernandez-Carriba conducts diagnostic evaluations of children and adults with autism as a part of the assessment and diagnosis team. He also performs research on social-cultural factors in autism and their impact on outcomes for children, with specific attention to Spanish-speaking families, as well as research into the role of belief systems and values in health and wellbeing, and the potential of an approach to healthcare that includes training in ethics.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (in press). Practicing health and happiness through meditation. In M. Langston (Ed.). Recapture Your Youth. Boston, MA: HBS Strategies, LLC.
- Gonzalez, E., Harrison, T., & Fernandez-Carriba, S. (in press). CBCT®: A program of Cognitively-Based Compassion Training. In L. Galiana and N. Sanso (Eds.), The Power of Compassion. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Harrison, T., Gonzalez, E., & Fernandez-Carriba, S. (in press). Sequential Development in CBCT®. In L. Galiana and N. Sanso (Eds.), The Power of Compassion. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S., Gonzalez-Garcia, M., Bradshaw, J., Gillespie, S., Mendelson, J., Jarzabek, E., Saulnier, C., Klin, A., Negi, L.T., & Herndon, J. (2019). Learning to connect: A feasibility study of mindfulness and compassion training for parents of children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Mental Health in Family Medicine, 15, 794-804.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S., & Bradshaw, J. (2018). Self-help for parents of children with autism: mindfulness and compassion. In M. Siller & L. Morgan (Eds.), Handbook of Family-Centered Practice for Very Young Children with Autism. New York, NY: Springer.
- Ousley, O., Evans, A.N., Fernandez-Carriba, S., Smearman, E.L., Rockers, K., Morrier, M.J., Evans, D.W., Coleman, K., & Cubells, J. (2017). Examining the overlap between autism spectrum disorder and 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 18 (5): 1071.
- Klaiman, C., Fernandez-Carriba, S., Hall, C., & Saulnier, C. (2015). Assessment of autism across the lifespan: A way forward. Current Developmental Disorders Reports. doi:10.1007/s40474-014-0031-5.
- Gulledge, J., Fernandez-Carriba, S., Rumbaugh, D., & Washburn, D. (2014). Judgments of monkey’s (Macaca mulatta) facial expressions by humans: Does housing condition “affect” countenance? The Psychological Record.
- Muldoon, M., Ousley, O.Y., Kobrynski, L.J., Patel, S., Oster, M.E., Fernandez-Carriba, S., Cubells, J.F., Coleman, K., & Pearce, B.D. (2014). The effect of hypocalcemia in early childhood on autism-related social and communication skills in patients with 22q11 deletion syndrome. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, 1-6.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (2018): Improving the ecosystem of pediatric conditions: Mindfulness and compassion training with families and therapists of children with ASD. Presented at World Summit of Pediatrics. Lecture conducted from Madrid, Spain.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (2018): CBCT® (Cognitively-Based Compassion Training). Progress in rehabilitation research. Presented at ACRM 95th Annual Conference.
Lecture conducted from Dallas, TX.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (2017): Compassion training: Self-care for patients and caregivers. Presented at 2017 Annual Conference. Lecture conducted from Marfan Foundation, Atlanta, GA.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (2017): Mindfulness and compassion training for parents and therapists of children with autism. Presented at ACBS (Association for Contextual Behavioral Science) Annual World Conference 15. Lecture conducted from Seville, Spain.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (2016): Compassion for caregivers. Presented at 7th Chattanooga Annual Autism Conference, Chattanooga, TN.
- Fernandez-Carriba, S. (2016): Sociocultural competence educating children with ASD. Presented at 7th Chattanooga Annual Autism Conference, Chattanooga, TN.