The Severe Behavior Program provides a variety of treatment options for children diagnosed autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other developmental disabilities who engage in problem behavior.
The goals of services provided by the Severe Behavior Program are to:
- Understand why the problem behavior(s) is occurring
- Develop a treatment to reduce problem behavior and increase appropriate behaviors
- Work with caregivers to integrate treatment strategies into the home and community settings
The Severe Behavior Program uses the most current and empirically supported assessment and treatment strategies, based upon applied behavior analysis (ABA). The Severe Behavior Program at the Marcus Autism Center is one of only a few programs in the country with the specialized physical facility, highly trained staff, and sufficient expertise to assess and treat severe problem behavior in an intensive context. We provide a continuum of services ranging in severity to meet each child’s individualized needs. Our team consists of highly trained board certified behavior analyst (BCBA, BCBA-D) and licensed psychologists.
Common referral concerns include:
- Aggression (hurting others)
- Disruptive/destructive behavior
- Dangerous behavior
- Self-injurious behavior (hurting self)
- Pica (eating non-food items)
- Elopement (running away)
- Toilet training