Learn how our research study can help you better understand your child’s development
As a part of the Autism Center of Excellence grant, our team is studying newborns to learn more about how a child grows and develops. During this study researchers will observe how your baby looks at the world, take pictures of your baby’s brain and record the early sounds your baby makes.
Who can participate?
- You must be pregnant or have a child 2 months old or younger.
- Your baby must have an older biological sibling.
- You must live within 35 miles of Marcus Autism Center.
What does my family have to do to participate?
Your baby is enrolled from birth until 36 months of age and will:
- Be seen at Marcus Autism Center as many as 10 to 13 times during the study.
- Receive developmental and language assessments during the study by experienced clinicians.
- Watch short videos of people, objects and activities on a computer screen.
- Receive an in MRI at three of the visits, allowing us to take pictures of your baby’s brain while she is sleeping naturally.
As a parent, we will ask you to:
- Make day-long audio recordings of your child once every month in your home, using a small recording device worn in a specially designed romper that we send out to you in the mail. When you mail the recordings back to Marcus Autism Center for processing, we will be able to automatically analyze all the sounds your baby makes, or may hear in a day.
- Complete surveys and interviews about your baby’s development and behavior.
If your baby shows signs of autism, you will be assigned to a treatment study that teaches important skills to help your child.
What are the benefits of this study?
- Clinicians monitor your baby’s progress throughout the study and give proper support and direction.
- Parents can discuss any development concerns with a staff clinician.
- If your baby has development concerns, you get a conference with a clinician and early intervention recommendations.
- If your baby is at risk for autism, you have the chance to take part in parent-focused treatment.
There is no cost to you to participate in the study. However, families will be compensated for their time and participation.
Sign up now
If you’d like to learn more or speak with someone from our team, complete the form below or call 404-785-7600.