One of the best ways to meet other families that have a child with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is through a parent support group. Connecting with families of children with similar needs can offer encouragement and insight into raising a child with autism. Other parents are also often the best source for information on community resources.
In addition to support group meetings, some groups sponsor social events for parents and children, maintain a parent email list, and host educational presentations for parents.
Find an autism support group in your area
- The Autism Speaks Resource Guide is an online national database of autism providers and resources searchable by state and zip code. Use this link to search for Georgia resources.
- The Autism Speaks Autism Response Team (ART) is specially trained to connect people with autism, their families and caregivers to information, tools and resources.
What if you don’t have a local autism support group?
If there isn’t a group in your area, consider:
- Signing up for an upcoming caregiver workshop, where you can meet other families from our center.
- Starting your own group. Advertise at school, in therapy offices and in pediatricians’ offices. Some groups find free meeting space in local coffee shops or in a meeting room in a library or church hall.
- Contacting Parent To Parent of Georgia at 1-800-229-2038. Ask to be linked to another parent in your area.
- Exploring an online support group.
We recognize that every child is unique and that the content of this article may not work for everyone. This content is general information and is not specific medical advice. We hope these tips will serve as a jumping-off point for finding the best approach to helping a child with autism. Always consult with a doctor or healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns about the health of a child. In case of an urgent concern or emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department right away. Some physicians and affiliated healthcare professionals on the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta team are independent providers and are not our employees.